Arranging meetings with other people in Exchange
NOTE: These instructions are for Windows users using Outlook 2007.
- Start Outlook and go to the Calendar tab. In your own calendar, right-click on the time you want your meeting to start, and click on "New Meeting Request".
- In the new window that comes up, click on the "To" button.
- In the next window that opens, type in the name of the person that you want, or a partial name for a list of possibilities, then click on the "Go" button. We'll search for "Kris" in this example.
- You will be presented with a list of matching names. (Note that this system only finds people who have Exchange accounts, not all University employees.) Click on the one that you want, then click on the "Required" or "Optional" buttons to add the person to the list of invitees. (The "Resources" button is for conference rooms and equipment. Trying to invite resources as Required or Optional attendees will generate error messages, so don't do that.) You can search for more people as needed; click "OK" when you are finished.
- You should be back at the new-meeting dialog box, with the peoples' names listed under "Location". Fill in a brief subject for your meeting. Optionally, put an explanation in the lower box, like the body of an email.
- If you click on the "Rooms" button, you can reserve a conference room for the meeting.
- Once you have all of your attendees and resources listed, click on the "Send" button. Your invitees will see the proposed appointment on their calendars, and have an opportunity to respond.
- If you open the meeting on your calendar, there will be a new button, "Tracking", that will show you who has responded to your meeting request.