2022 Distinguished Pharmacy Alumni Awardee
James B Jones
Vice President, Clinical Development – Pain
Global Medicines Development and Medical Affairs
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated
“I am honored to be named a Pharmacy Distinguished Alumni. The knowledge and experience I obtained during my PharmD education and training has played an important role in my success in drug development and the pharmaceutical industry. It also served as a great foundation for my medical training at The University of Pennsylvania and in Emergency Medicine. As a result, I was able to apply this cumulative experience into developing efficacious and safe medications for patients.”
- BS, Pharmacy, Purdue University, 1987
- PharmD, Purdue University, 1988
- Fellowship, Surgical Pharmacology and Scientific Research Administration, Creighton University, 1989
- MD, University of Pennsylvania, 1994
- Residency in Emergency Medicine, Geisinger Medical Center, 1997
- Contributed to the development of approximately twelve marketed pharmaceutical products, some were from early development and discovery while others were part of life cycle management.
- Approximately 10 US patents granted or pending in dosing regimens and medical use
- Published 4 Book Chapters and over 25 peer reviewed journal articles
- Diplomate, American Board of Emergency Medicine
- Fellow, American Academy of Emergency Medicine and the American College of Emergency Physicians
James B Jones, MD, PharmD, FACEP has over 20 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry in drug development and management. He is the Vice President of Clinical Development at Vertex Pharmaceuticals and leads the clinical development team for the pain program where they continue to discover, research, and develop a portfolio of small molecules as potential non-opioid medicines for the treatment of both acute and neuropathic pain.Previously he was the Chief Medical Officer at Pacira Pharmaceuticals where he worked on expanding the indication for liposomal bupivacaine, a non-opioid alternative for postoperative pain management.
Dr. Jones received his BS in Pharmacy in 1987 and PharmD in 1988 from Purdue University. He completed a post-PharmD fellowship in Surgical Pharmacology and Scientific Research Administration at Creighton University in 1989. His first job in the pharmaceutical industry was with Rorer Pharmaceuticals. He then returned to school to obtain his MD degree from the University of Pennsylvania in 1994 and completed a Residency in Emergency Medicine in 1997. Dr. Jones then joined the Emergency Medicine faculty at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, Ind. He then returned to the pharmaceutical industry in 2000 as the global medical lead for the COX-2 inhibitors for Pharmacia. Dr. Jones serves on the Scientific Review Board of RIZE Massachusetts, an independent nonprofit foundation working to end the opioid epidemic in Massachusetts and reduce its devastating impact on people, communities, and our economy.
Dr. Jones lives in the southwest suburbs of Boston, Mass. with his wife Linda and their three dogs.