Pharm. D. Calendar
The Doctor of Pharmacy Program calendar differs from that of the Purdue University calendar, including semester start dates. Students must refer to the specific start dates outlined on the calendar schedule.
First Professional Year (P1)
- The College of Pharmacy orientation letter provides the start date for P1 students in the fall semester. Other than the fall start date, the P1 schedule aligns with the University calendar, including observance of University breaks.
Second professional (P2) and third professional (P3) years
- P2 and P3 didactic semesters are 12 weeks in length (opposed to traditional 16-weeks) in order to provide experiential learning opportunities.
- In the fall, didactic courses begin one week later than the general Purdue population. In the spring, didactic courses begin near the end of January or beginning of February (fluctuates based on experiential rotation blocks).
- P2s and P3s complete a 4-week Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experience (IPPE) in July, August, November/December (an option for P3 students only) or January.
- P2 and P3 students do not observe University breaks while enrolled in an IPPE.
- Students not enrolled in an IPPE may enroll in intensive electives (IEs). In the fall, IEs are offered at the conclusion of the 12-week semester. In the spring, IEs begin in accord with the University calendar.
Fourth professional year (P4)
- Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPEs) begin in May, following successful completion of the P3 year.
- P4 students enrolled in an APPE do not observe University breaks.
Schedule for Fall 2020
|P1 and University Calendar||P2/P3|
|Aug. 3 - Aug. 28||IPPE|
|Aug. 22-23||Orientation for P1 students|
|Aug. 24||Classes start (16 wk)|
|Aug. 31||Classes start (12 wk)|
|Nov 20||Classes end (12 wk)|
|Nov. 21, 23-24||Finals (12 wk)|
|Nov. 24||All online instruction begins|
|Nov. 25-28||Thanksgiving Break||Nov. 25-28||Thanksgiving Break|
|Nov. 30||Intensive Electives Start|
|Dec. 5||Classes end (16 wk)|
|Dec. 7-12||Finals (16 wk)|
|Dec. 15||Grades due (16 wk)||Dec. 15||Grades due (12 wk)|
|Dec. 17||Intensive Electives end|
|Dec. 18-19||Intensive Elective final exams|
|Dec. 21||Grades due (Intensive Electives)|
Schedule for Spring 2021
|P1 (in alignment with University Calendar)||P2 and P3|
|Jan. 19||Classes start (16 wk)||Jan. 4 - 29||IPPE option|
|Jan. 19 - Feb 4||Intensive Elective Courses|
|Feb. 5-6||Intensive Elective Finals|
|Feb. 8||Classes start (12 wk)|
|Feb 17||Reading Day - No Classes||Feb 17||Reading Day - No Classes|
|Mar 18||Reading Day - No Classes||Mar 18||Reading Day - No Classes|
|Apr 13||Reading Day - No Classes||Apr 13||Reading Day - No Classes|
|May 1||Classes end (16 wk)||May 1||Classes end (12 wk)|
|May 3 - 8||Finals||May 3 - 8||Finals|
|May 11||Grades due||May 11||Grades due|