The original idea to start a pharmacy program at Purdue came from John N. Hurty, a community pharmacist in Indianapolis who apprenticed under Eli Lilly. He proposed the idea to Purdue President James H. Smart, who agreed to start the program if Hurty would serve as its head for at least two years. Hurty agreed, and the Purdue College of Pharmacy opened its doors in 1884, with 7 students and 4 faculty members, becoming the third state-supported school of pharmacy in the U.S.
In the 130 years that have followed, the Purdue College of Pharmacy has grown into a key component of a university that is world-renowned for its STEM leadership. With a reputation for both employing the top pharmacy leaders of today and training the pharmacy leaders of tomorrow, the program consistently ranks in the top 10 in the nation. The college’s 85-member faculty includes pharmaceutical researchers engaged in groundbreaking drug discovery and development programs, and educators whose educational materials are used in pharmacy programs around the world. The college is home to the Center for Medication Safety Advancement and the Center for Pharmaceutical Processing Research. It is the only pharmacy program in the nation with faculty sited abroad and the only program to offer global health and veterinary clinical pharmacy post-graduate residencies.